For the first time, Baleares International College, Sa Porrassa celebrated a Careers Fair for all their Primary and Secondary students. The BIC Careers Fair offered students and parents an exceptional opportunity to chat one to one with a wide variety of professionals, local and international companies, about their careers ambitions.
All our professionals and collaborators were volunteers - our current and former parents, our highly qualified staff members, our alumni and well established professional companies closely associated with the school.
Our students had the chance to speak one-to-one with inspirational companies and professionals in a variety of industries such as the island’s tourism industry, represented by TUI Destinations, Marriott Hotels International and Palma Aquarium. We also had the chance to welcome representatives from the ever growing technology industry with Datacore, Oracle and Activair amongst others.
Daniel Sepulveda, who graduated at BIC with top A Level results last summer, returned to provide a keynote speech on how he has been accepted on to the best pilot school course in Europe and now is preparing for an important interview with the International Airline IBERIA. Daniel said: “I was still unsure of what I wanted to be by the middle of Year 13, so I started to get in contact with parents of friends that worked in the industry”, reiterating the message of the Careers Fair of how important it is to our students to talk to as many people as possible to find their career pathway - Exploring was the key message. In addition to that, Daniel commented on how important he found his GCSE studies to be for being a pilot - especially science, maths, English, computer science and geography!
Daniel was joined as our guest speaker by BIC’s Head Girl Annabel Brown, who focussed on the importance of careers advice for deciding on what degree to do and, before that, suitable A-Levels and GCSE’s. Following Annabel’s inspiration, Amanda Bedbourough, general manager at Datacore, spoke on the promotion of scientific and technological vocations, aimed specifically at girls, as women remain hugely under-represented in science, technology, engineering and mathematics related careers.
We would like to express our biggest thank you to all volunteers and professionals who took the time to share with our students their companies’ philosophies, professional careers and experiences:
- Mr Chris Bland - Digital Marketing Specialist
- Mr Martin Devinosa - General Manager at 5* Marriott Hotel
- Ms Adinda Vandewall and Julia Ajchsztet - HR Advisors at TUI destinations
- Ms Lara Wiesenthal - Founder and CEO of Activaire
- Ms Amanda Bedborough - General Manager and Strategist at Datacore
- Mr Adrian Carden - IT Specialist
- Mr Kirss Kunningham and Ms Annabel Fleming - Politics Specialists
- Ms Nicola Mayes - Professional Artis and Drama teacher
- Mr Marco Magazzy - Business Manager at Palma Aquarium
- Ms Julija Sipicina-Buhgolc - Marketing Expert and Strategic Brand Management
- Mr Lucca d’Addezio - Professional Photographer
- Mr Herbert Moran - Business Manager and Entrepreneur
- Mr Jack Isaac Ryan - Entertainment Manager and Producer
- Mr Dylan Jimenez Thomas - Professional musician
- Mr David Salva Lopez - Project manager in IT Systems at Oracle
- Ms Lauren Natalue Fry - Freelance professional Make-up artist
- Ms Jo Clayton - Business development at Radio One Mallorca
- Daniel Sepulveda - BIC Alumni and Guest speaker
- Annabel Brown - BIC Head Girl, current Sixth form student and guest speaker
BIC’s Careers Fair has been such an enriching experience for our students, parents and collaborators that we are already looking forward to celebrating the school’s 2021 Careers Fair.