House System at Baleares International College
For those parents and guardians who have had children with us for some years, the Baleares International College House System is a familiar feature of school life but for some parents it might be new.
The idea behind the House system is that there is a vertical and even split of the children, of all ages in each of our four Houses. A sense of inclusion and engagement in a common enterprise can have academic benefits as well as social-emotional ones, and the Whole School House System was developed to promote a positive and inclusive culture at Baleares International College, a caring and supportive environment where all students are welcome and valued, and can demonstrate loyalty allegiance while contributing to the success of their House.
The benefits of the whole school House System include:
- The system is inclusive of all learners and includes sporting, academic and artistic endeavours.
- Promotes positive self-esteem , self-identity, belonging, integrity, teamwork and pride amongst all students.
- Peer support to help promote positive mental health.
- Promotion of student responsibility and student voice, cooperation, communication and leadership skills. Skills valued for job applications and better preparation for future employment.
- Constant and consistent encouragement for students to achieve their best.
- Develop a common goal between school staff and students.
These Houses compete against each other in a friendly environment. We trust the senior students in each House will look out for the younger ones, enabling the seniors to benefit by learning leadership and organisational skills themselves. When a child joins BIC they become a member of a particular House along with all the staff in the school.
The aim for all the students in the school is to build up points for their Houses by earning as many "House points" as they can every day, every week and every month and also by playing for their House teams against other House teams at sports and in competitions.
The Houses have House captains which form part of our student leadership team. They have additional responsibilities, are involved in presenting in assemblies and planning and motivating their Houses in events.